Are you considering selling the family home and downsizing to something that suits your current needs and lifestyle.
For some of us, moving can be both an emotional and stressful experience, however on a positive note, a move often represents relief (a lightening of the load), simplifying life’s pressures, with less clutter and fewer home chores and maintenance.
Before you put the ‘For Sale’ sign up, it’s important to be informed and understand the process involved in selling your home.
- Advise your solicitor of your intention to sell. They are experts in the field, and will ensure your sale goes the way you intend. Making a mistake or misunderstanding your legal obligations could impact on your finances and lifestyle.
- Select a real estate agent you can trust. Ideally a ‘Senior’s Real Estate Specialist’ who is knowledgeable in senior housing options and is genuinely committed to looking after your interests.
- Your agent will do a home appraisal, assessing location, size, age and features to determine the selling price.They will also work out a plan to list and market your property.
- You will then be asked to sign an agreement with your agent. This legally binding contract details the sales commission, estimated sale price, duration of the agreement and advertising costs.
- Your home is then listed for sale. Your agent will liaise with prospective buyers, arranging times to view your property (and open home times).
- Sale and negotiation. Your agent acts as mediator between you and potential buyers to reach an acceptable price. Upon acceptance of price, the buyer pays a deposit.
- The property is then ‘under contract.’ Both seller and buyer’s lawyers and banks will finalise the details of the sale, ensuring both parties meet all legal and financial obligations.
- Final Settlement Day – The house is sold! The keys are handed over in exchange for the balance of payment.
As you can see from the above, it need not be a complicated process if you have the right people helping and supporting you.
Who can help you?
Depending on your circumstances you may require a lot of assistance, or just a bit of support to ensure your sale goes smoothly. Here is a brief list of those who can help:
- Senior’s Real Estate Specialist
- Financial Advisor/Accountant
- Mortgage Brokers
- Seniors Relocation Specialists
- Community Services & Local Churches
- Family & Friends
If you are thinking of selling your family home I would love to meet with you and discuss your plans. Contact Heather Abbot today – your Senior’s Real Estate Specialist at Gold Coast.