I want to use my knowledge and experience to help you as you deal with what can be a difficult time emotionally when selling a home after you have lost a loved one. Here are some points to consider if you find yourself in this position.
- It is important to keep mortgage, insurance and rate payments up to date. Utilities such as water and electricity need to be connected when any home inspections by prospective buyers are carried out. These services can simply be transferred into the buyer’s name when the sale is finalised.
- Consider changing the locks, particularly if you are selling a home that is not your own. You may not know how many other family members or friends may have a set of keys to the home.
- It is also a good idea to have all mail forwarded to your own home or business address. This can assist you to know who creditors are, and if there are subscriptions you need to cancel. You may not be aware of who may contact your loved one, especially at Christmas or birthdays, and this way you can also let them know of your loved one’s passing.
- Sort belongings and clear the house of all personal effects. This can be a very emotionally difficult thing to do, and it is best to take as long as you need to do it. Although it can be tempting to leave many items in the home until it sells, as they evoke memories, this can detract from a sale.
- Contact a reputable Real Estate Agent to come and value the property. They will also advise you on preparing your home for sale and any noticeable changes you may need to make to maximise sales appeal. This may entail having minor improvements carried out, maintenance jobs performed and for the home to be thoroughly cleaned. This can be time consuming, but done correctly, will increase the value of the home significantly.
With many years in the industry helping people navigate what can seem to be a daunting process, I specialise in assisting clients with all aspects of selling their home. Starting with an appraisal and valuation through to marketing and selling the home. I can also provide referrals to trusted professionals for legal and financial advice, through to cleaners, trades people and a removalist.
Please feel free to contact me to discuss your plans to sell your home and the options available. Phone Heather Abbot today on 0417 001 186.